It appears that the Potomac Tavern is a tavern no more

General news about this place of interest to all members.
Mark D Hamill
Forum Administrator

It appears that the Potomac Tavern is a tavern no more

Post by Mark D Hamill » Mon May 11, 2009 11:11 AM

This is hardly news, but traffic here has dwindled substantially. It looks like we have lost Pat, which leaves Deb, Jim and I as the only regular contributors. This is not enough to sustain an online community.

The Potomac Tavern started on May 31st, 2000 when we were hosted on ezboard.com. In June 2002 it moved to its own domain running phpBB 2. It has resided on various web hosts, including recently Jim Goldbloom's. It's heyday was probably 2002-2005, but this place never really recovered with the death of Frank Pierce in 2006. Frank was the primary social glue that brought us all together. In retrospect, his death meant this place was destined to die a slow death.

I just renewed the domain for another year, but unless the dynamics change come June 1st the board will become inactive with new posts suspended. I will definitely maintain it for a while, as it is contains 50,000+ posts and if nothing else is a huge archive detailing the thoughts and photos of Frank Pierce.

While it is possible for resuscitate this place if old posters returned and new ones showed up and stayed, I do not see that happening.

This is not quite goodbye, but it is a good opportunity to thank the many contributors, many of whom no longer show up regularly but poured their heart and soul into this board, including Mamasneak and Weesprite, as well as regulars like Mike, Pat Patterson, Debby, Jim, Angela and of course myself.

Nine years is about the length that The Back of the North Wind survived as an electronic bulletin board. It is probably about as long as most online communities can survive. It's been a good, long haul.

I will continue to monitor and post through the end of May. If the dynamic changes or I hear interest in keeping this place open, I will probably do so, otherwise we go read only on June 1st.
Co-host and webmaster
Jim Goldbloom
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jim Goldbloom » Mon May 11, 2009 15:28 PM

I suggest you private email all the absentees to confirm they won't be able to support the forum anymore. Some may simply have gotten into other things and took for granted you'd keep it online, and need a simple reminder. Others might agree, but I can only assume from your post here that you base your decision merely on the substantial lack of posting activity - unless there has been some private correspondence to explain why of which I am not aware. Frank's death was a serious blow to the forum, but part of the chemical makeup of that glue was really you, Mark. Following his death you didn't consolidate forums, streamline things, consider a new name, or other means we could be discussing now - the forum stayed as is, which might have been the final doom. What I'm getting at is what I don't see in your post here -- what's missing. Let us know if others have already said it's time to move on (indirectly or however) and also if, bottom line, you're darned tired and want to move on.

This reply should not be construed as an attempt to save PT, but to ensure all measures have been exhausted prior to finalizing the decision to taking it down (i.e. "read only" until the domain expires).

-jim
Mark D Hamill
Forum Administrator

Post by Mark D Hamill » Tue May 12, 2009 9:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I will send out a mass email.
Co-host and webmaster
kat7
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Closing of the Tavern?

Post by kat7 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:35 AM

Gee, I am sorry the Tavern may close...but I can uderstand that with Frank's passing things would change as he was the one to invite me (and others) to stop by and I enjoyed the banter and suggestions in my life.

Kathy
The bubbling brook would lose its song if you removed the rocks. Bless you.
Mark D Hamill
Forum Administrator

Post by Mark D Hamill » Wed May 13, 2009 11:04 AM

Thanks Kat. There seemed a note of condolence in there somewhere.
Co-host and webmaster
kat7
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Condolence?

Post by kat7 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:21 AM

Frank,

Yes, I miss Frank and his delicious humor. I was glad to have made the effort to attend his funeral, meeting his wife, kids and grandson. They seem to be as special as was he and intelligence like his comes along very rarely, at least in my life.

Thanks to all the regulars who chatted with me here as I shared "adventures" in my life after losing my husband in 2002. Life seems to go on, but in such a different direction these days.

Happy trails to all,
Kat
The bubbling brook would lose its song if you removed the rocks. Bless you.
Mark D Hamill
Forum Administrator

Post by Mark D Hamill » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 AM

Kat, look for a topic on Frank under Joys and Concerns. I posted a picture of his grave marker, taken in March.
Co-host and webmaster