Ragtime gets an excellent review

Read member movie reviews. Discuss a favorite book, play or show. Tell us about a recent concert.
Mark D Hamill
Forum Administrator

Ragtime gets an excellent review

Post by Mark D Hamill » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 AM

Jim and Debby,

I don't know if you saw the Washington Post review for "Ragime" or not but it looks like we are going to see a splendid production! I'm psyched. I saw a touring group perform it at The National Theatre in 1998 and was thrilled to hear The Kennedy Center was going to revive it. I just didn't think they would be able to do a very good job.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02760.html
In its glorious opening tableau, "Ragtime" finds its purest, most exhilarating expression. To the Scott Joplin-style syncopation of the title song, the characters who compose the musical's three intertwining ethnic groups -- white Anglo-Saxons, blacks and immigrant Jews -- converge onstage to lay out the evening's conceptual thrust: the revolutionary changes coming to America circa 1906. "The music," as the characters put it, "of something beginning."
Co-host and webmaster
Jim Goldbloom
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Jim Goldbloom » Thu Apr 30, 2009 13:16 PM

Great to hear that! Yep, I'm looking forward to it as well!
Mark D Hamill
Forum Administrator

Post by Mark D Hamill » Fri May 01, 2009 11:18 AM

Having seen it before, I know it is one of the great American musicals. Unfortunately, it's only been around 10 years but in time it should rank similar to other great musicals like Oklahoma. Glad it is being done right.
Co-host and webmaster